Being a teacher in China is a world away from teaching in the United States. That's a given. You're all probably saying, "Yes Carrie, and we also know what bears do in the woods." But allow me to explain a bit what I mean.
What was completely new for me: classes are twice as large, students are all ELL (English Language Learners) and everyone (teachers and students) is pressured to preform well on exams. There is no real grading going on, simply-will you pass the test with this work or not?
What isn't different-teachers here care about their students. They care about their success and whether or not the students are learning what they need in order to be successful. Teachers teach content but they also teach discipline and good "morals" (responsible citizenship). Teachers are loved by their students.
So why did I have a completely different idea about teaching in China? That all teachers were ogres and fire breathing dragons? I don't know.
What I have learned from my one week in the classrooms here at Gaoxin No. 1 most importantly is that the great majority these students want to succeed. For each one this means something different. They have high expectations placed on them, but they have similar expectations from within. The students I am teaching at the international center want to study at the best universities in the United States and in the UK, Australia, Singapore and elsewhere.
After they leave the hallways of Gaoxin No. 1 will they have the tools they need? I think it very likely that they will. And hopefully they'll have a dim memory of the teachers who came from America to learn from them.
Hey Carrie!! It's Michelle! Glad to hear you are doing well and learning a lot over there! Thinking and praying for you! :) That is so interesting to hear about how motivated succeed your students are there. Do you think there is pressure coming from the government on the schools, teachers, and parents that has such high expectations? What's at stake If they don't succeed? Bad reputation? How cool would it be to see students in America highly motivated like that! Wish we could get that here, as I'm sure you probably feel!! :) Anywah, thanks for sharing about your experience so far! Looking forward to hearing more and seeing pics!!! Love you so much!!! Talk to you soon!!!
ReplyDeleteThese are some of the same questions I have Shelly. When I started to meet my students I was struck by just how normal they are, but there is something in them that drives them further. I don't know what it is, it's likely a lot of the things you mentioned as well as their cultural backgrounds.
ReplyDelete